What are hiking poles?
Hiking poles are an extension of your arm, providing additional stability and support when you’re on a trail. They give you the strength to power up steep inclines and the balance to navigate over uneven terrain.
You can find different types of hiking poles online − from collapsible ones that fit into a backpack to telescoping ones that telescope out for easy packing. It’s best to do some research to find out which type of hiking poles are best for your trail.
Hiking poles are ideal for:
- Casual bushwalking
- Mountain hiking
- Inclines of more than 45 degrees
- Hiking off beaten trails
Why do I need quality hiking poles?
Hiking poles have a lot of benefits, and it is a good idea to use them if you can. Having a strong, supporting, and safe hiking pole on you can save you plenty of pain and discomfort as you walk.
Here’s why you need them:
- They save your body from unnecessary stress by making things easier on your joints.
- Poles also allow you to carry more weight so your back doesn't get as tired.
- Hikers who suffer from pain find poles relieve some of the pressure off the hips and legs.
- Poles exercise more muscles, making a complete workout for your arms and upper body.
Not everyone needs hiking poles for Australian conditions. But it never hurts to have a little extra support on you when you need it, regardless of your age or level of fitness.
What are some features I should look out for when buying hiking poles online?
Buying hiking poles online is easier than going into a store and trying them out for yourself. In both situations, you have to trust that the manufacturer knows what they are doing. Here’s what to look for when making an online purchase of hiking poles.
- Lightweight. Poles don’t always need to be used, and should be packed away without having to claim valuable weight and space in your pack.
- Quality. Hiking poles made from carbon, aluminium, tungsten, and other quality materials will last longer than those made of substandard materials.
- Ergonomic. Quality hand grips can help you drive power through the pole and into the ground, keeping you stable and moving forward.
- Dependable. If you select a hiking pole online, you want to be able to depend on every part, from the comfortable padded strap at the top, to the ice flex basket at the bottom.
Hiking poles from Oz Backcountry
Oz Backcountry stocks a range of popular Komperdell hiking poles. Each of these products — either collapsible or telescopic — have been tested to rigorous standards in a range of hiking environments. You can rest assured that our hiking poles will offer you greater stability on all the hikes you plan in the years to come.
Buy hiking poles online from Oz Backcountry and enjoy all the same protections you would get at a brick-and-mortar store. If you are unsatisfied with our products in any way, we will happily replace them, offer store credit, or refund entirely. Visit our returns and exchange policy to learn more.